May is National Bicycle Safety Month, which is why our knowledgeable Florida firm has put together a short list of practical tips to help ensure you stay safe. Please continue reading to learn more about what you can do to steer clear of an accident.
- Always wear a helmet. If you are ever involved in an accident, a helmet may be the thing that saves your life. Of course, there are several brands and types of helmets available on the market, but you should try and purchase one that satisfies the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) standards.
- Before heading out, give your bicycle a quick inspection. By checking your tire pressure, brakes, bike chain, and other parts, you drastically decrease the odds of an accident occurring because of a faulty or defective bicycle part.
- Do not ride against traffic. When cycling, do so along with traffic in a predictable fashion and on the shoulder of the road, if at all possible. Additionally, ensure you use the appropriate hand signals when turning to notify all other motorists on the road.
- Make yourself visible to all those around you. This includes wearing bright or neon-colored clothes, having a bicycle equipped with reflectors, and installing lights on your bicycle, especially if you plan on biking at night.
- Be constantly aware of your surroundings. Cyclists come into contact with various safety hazards, including loose debris in the road, careless drivers, and more. Try and avoid those hazards when possible.
- Obey all rules and regulations of the road. Just because a bicycle is not a motor vehicle does not mean you do not have to follow the same basic rules. This means stop at stop signs, obey traffic lights, and never bike while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Unfortunately, though you should follow all of the aforementioned safety measures, bicycle accidents still happen. If you are someone who was injured in a bicycle accident due to another motorist’s negligence, there is a very good chance you are now seeking financial compensation to help you heal. Our experienced Jacksonville personal injury attorneys can help you through every step of the claims process ahead. Give us a call today to learn more about what we can do for you.
Contact our experienced Florida firm
Ansbacher Law is composed of knowledgeable attorneys who are ready to assist clients with various legal matters throughout North Florida. We understand the urgency of your personal injury claim and additional legal matters, which is why we provide each of our clients with compassionate and efficient legal assistance, every step of the way. Please contact our office for an initial consultation today.