Labor Day Drunk Driving Accidents | What You Should Know

Driver holding a green bottle with a metallic opener attached to it, positioned near a car steering wheel, demonstrating drunk driving behavior.

For most of us, Labor Day is spent relaxing with our friends and family, perhaps at a barbecue or another fun group event. Many people celebrate Labor Day by having a few drinks, which is fine, as long as they do not drive afterward. Unfortunately, many people make this horrible mistake and end up injuring themselves or others in drunk driving accidents. If you’ve been hurt at the hands of a drunk driver, you should read on and reach out to our experienced Florida personal injury lawyers to learn more about drunk driving accidents and how we can help if you’ve been hurt in one. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What should I do after sustaining an injury in a drunk driving accident?

If you are injured in a drunk driving accident, the very first thing you should do is call the police. The police can treat your injuries, document the incident, and require the intoxicated person to take a breathalyzer test, which we can use the results of when proving your personal injury claim. You should also take pictures of the accident, ask anyone who saw the accident for their name, phone number, and email address, and ensure that you receive immediate medical treatment. Finally, after you are treated by a physician and are in stable condition once again, you should strongly consider speaking with an experienced Jacksonville personal injury attorney who can help you pursue the financial compensation you deserve.

Does Florida have a dram shop law?

Not all, but most states have dram shop laws. Essentially, a dram shop law will allow someone who’s been wrongfully injured in an accident caused by a drunk person to sue not only the drunk person, but also the establishment who served the individual alcohol (under certain circumstances). In the state of Florida, if an establishment knowingly serves someone who is either under the age of 21 or someone who is “habitually addicted” to alcohol and that person goes on to cause an accident, the injured party may sue both the intoxicated person and the establishment that served the intoxicated person. That being said, you should not pursue such a claim without an experienced Florida personal injury attorney on your side. Our firm is prepared to do everything in our power to guide you through the legal process ahead. All you have to do is pick up the phone and give us a call.

Contact our experienced Florida firm

Ansbacher Law is comprised of knowledgeable attorneys who are ready to assist clients with various legal matters throughout North Florida. We understand the urgency of your personal injury claim and additional legal matters, which is why we provide each of our clients with compassionate and efficient legal assistance, every step of the way. Please contact our office for an initial consultation today.