Most people are not fearful of simply crossing the street, however, at times, pedestrian accidents can occur. Often, these accidents have devastating impacts on the pedestrians involved. If you’ve been hurt in such an accident, you should continue reading and speak with an experienced Florida personal injury lawyer to learn more about how our legal team can help.
What causes pedestrian accidents?
As you can imagine, pedestrian accidents can occur for a wide variety of reasons. Though at times, they are caused by careless pedestrians, in most cases, they are caused by negligent drivers. Some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents that our firm sees are as follows:
- Overgrown vegetation, preventing drivers from seeing pedestrians
- Ignoring traffic lights and signs
- Driving while intoxicated
- Inclement weather conditions
- Failing to obey crosswalk signals
- Texting while driving (or otherwise driving while distracted)
- Poorly-lit roads, making it difficult for drivers to see pedestrians at night
- Driving while fatigued
Am I entitled to compensation if I’ve been injured as a pedestrian?
If you were struck by a motor vehicle as a pedestrian, there is a very good chance that you will be entitled to financial compensation. However, you will have to prove that you were injured as a direct result of another party’s negligence and that the accident was no fault of your own. This is why, if possible, you should try to take the following steps to document the facts surrounding your accident:
- Call 911. Your health is the most important thing. By calling 911, law enforcement and emergency services will be sent to the scene of the accident. They can treat your injuries and document the facts of the incident.
- If you can, ask anyone who saw your accident for their contact information. Ensure you receive the driver’s insurance information and license plate number.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including your injuries.
- Once you are transported to a hospital and treated, ensure that you receive a copy of all medical documentation pertaining to your injuries.
- Hire a knowledgeable Jacksonville personal injury lawyer who can gather all additional evidence needed to satisfy the burden of proof on your behalf. In certain cases, we can subpoena surveillance footage of your accident as it happened, which is often the best way to prove a personal injury claim.
Contact our experienced Florida firm
Ansbacher Law is comprised of knowledgeable attorneys who are ready to assist clients with various legal matters throughout North Florida. We understand the urgency of your personal injury claim and additional legal matters, which is why we provide each of our clients with compassionate and efficient legal assistance, every step of the way. Please contact our office for an initial consultation today.