The Fourth of July is a time where we celebrate our freedom as American citizens. We observe this holiday with barbecues, pool parties, and, of course, fireworks. While fireworks are great fun, if you are hosting this Fourth of July and plan on a firework display, you must understand how to properly use them to ensure all those who attend are safe. Below, our firm has compiled a short checklist regarding firework safety for you to follow. Please continue reading to learn more.
Tips For Firework Safety
- Never set off fireworks until you’ve checked to ensure that everyone is a safe distance away.
- Do not purchase fireworks, or certain types of fireworks, if they are prohibited in your area.
- Before starting the show, ensure all pets are inside, as oftentimes, the bright lights and loud sounds associated with fireworks cause pets to run away, or otherwise behave erratically.
- Always ensure you have a nearby water source, such as a hose, as well as a fire extinguisher on-hand.
- Always light off fireworks while wearing protective glasses.
- Never allow children to handle fireworks. Ensure responsible adults are the only ones who handle the firework display.
- Generally speaking, fireworks wrapped in brown paper are for professional-grade shows and are not for amateur use.
- Do not keep fireworks in your pocket.
- If a firework is a “dud,” or it does not initially combust when you light it, do not attempt to relight it.
- After you use a firework, do not immediately throw it in the garbage. Douse it in cool water and let it sit for a while, as a hot firework can start a fire when thrown directly into a trash can after combustion.
What should I do if I am injured in a firework accident?
If you are injured in a firework accident, the first thing you should do is seek immediate medical attention, as your health and safety are paramount. However, if you believe you were injured due to the negligence of another party, you may have a valid premises liability claim, as long as you hire an experienced Jacksonville attorney who can obtain all evidence needed to satisfy the burden of proof on your behalf. Some of the most useful forms of evidence include videos of the accident, medical documents regarding your injuries, witness statements, and more. That being said, if you can prove that you were injured because of a negligently manufactured or designed firework, you may have a valid product liability claim. If this is the case, you must not throw the defective product away and contact an attorney as soon as you can. Our firm has helped countless individuals recover the compensation that they need to heal, and we are ready to help you do the same.
Contact our experienced Florida firm
Ansbacher Law is comprised of knowledgeable attorneys who are ready to assist clients with various legal matters throughout North Florida. We understand the urgency of your personal injury claim and additional legal matters, which is why we provide each of our clients with compassionate and efficient legal assistance, every step of the way. Please contact our office for an initial consultation today.