What Steps Should I Take After an Apartment Accident?

apartment building

If you are a tenant here in the Sunshine State, you have the right to live in an apartment or condo that is free of safety hazards. But what if your landlord fails to ensure your apartment or condo is safe and you are injured as a result? Can you sue them for damages? The answer is yes, but it’s not always easy, which is why you should continue reading and reach out to a seasoned Jacksonville personal injury lawyer from Ansbacher Law to learn more about your rights, what you should do after an apartment accident, and how we can help you fight for the full and fair compensation to which you are entitled. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What should I do if I am injured in an apartment accident?

If you are injured in your own apartment, you should take several steps to ensure you receive medical attention and document the cause of your accident. Those steps are as follows:

  • Get medical attention: The most important thing you can do is receive the immediate medical treatment you need. This will help you get the treatment you need, and it will also create a record of your injuries that you can use as evidence in your case. Even if you don’t feel immediately injured, you should seek medical attention, as certain injuries take days, or even weeks, to manifest.
  • Document the scene of the accident: If you can, you should take pictures or videos of the unsafe apartment conditions that caused your accident and injury.
  • Tell your landlord about the injury: Once you take pictures of the safety hazard, you should tell your landlord about it. This will help further document the incident and inform your landlord that there is a safety issue on the property.
  • Reach out to an attorney: An experienced attorney knows how to collect evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and overall fight for the best outcome possible on behalf of his or her injured clients. Ansbacher Law has been a staunch legal representative for the wrongfully injured here in Florida for decades, and we are here to fight for you as well.

How do I know if I am entitled to compensation?

To win a case against your landlord for an injury, you have to prove that the landlord either knew or should have reasonably known of the unsafe property conditions, failed to fix them, and that you were injured as a result. This isn’t always easy, and it’s not unheard of for landlords to even try and place the blame on their tenants. Hiring a competent attorney can maximize your chances of satisfying the burden of proof and recovering the full and fair compensation to which you are entitled.

How long do I have to file a lawsuit for an injury in Florida?

In the state of Florida, the statute of limitations for most personal injury claims is two years. This means accident victims will only have two years from the date of their accident to file their personal injury claim. If you wait longer, you will likely permanently be barred from suing. Ansbacher Law is here to help you today. Contact us for a free consultation so we can get started working on your case.