How to Recover Compensation After a Sidewalk Accident in Florida

Though we do not traditionally think of sidewalks as inherently unsafe, when improperly managed or maintained, they can become very serious safety hazards. Inadequate lighting, standing water, loose debris, and other surface problems cause thousands of accidents nationwide, every single year. If you were injured in a sidewalk accident and are now seeking financial compensation, please read on to learn more about what we can do for you:

How do I recover financial compensation after a sidewalk accident?

To recover the compensation you need, you will have to prove that you were injured as a direct result of a property owner’s negligence. However, you must first determine who the negligent party is. Oftentimes, the owner of the sidewalk is the owner of the adjacent building, however, sidewalks can also be considered public property. Once your attorney determines whether you will hold a private property owner or a municipality accountable, he or she will begin recovering evidence.

Your attorney can seek out surveillance footage of the accident, witness statements, pictures of the unsafe sidewalk, and more to prove your claim. One of the most important things you can do is seek medical attention immediately after the accident, even if you do not feel pain right away. Some injuries take time to set in, so it is always best to be proactive. Additionally, a physician will document the extent of your injuries and their origin, which you may use to further bolster your personal injury claim.

What is the statute of limitations in Florida?

The statute of limitations is the amount of time an individual has to take legal action against a negligent party. In Florida, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is four years. Simply put, this means you will have four years from the date of your accident to sue a negligent property owner. If you wait for more than four years to file a claim, you will be barred from suing, so it is always best to file as soon as possible. Additionally, if you are suing a municipality, you must file a Notice of Claim, notifying them of your impending legal action. However, these deadlines are often much shorter, so if you plan on suing a municipality, it is best you speak with us today. Our firm is ready to help you–all you have to do is ask.

Contact our experienced Florida firm

Ansbacher Law is composed of knowledgeable attorneys who are ready to assist clients with various legal matters throughout North Florida. We understand the urgency of your personal injury claim and additional legal matters, which is why we provide each of our clients with compassionate and efficient legal assistance, every step of the way. Please contact our office for an initial consultation today.