Can I Sue if I’m Partially Liable for a Car Accident?

There are few things more frightening, and potentially devastating, than being involved in a car accident. When someone is hurt in a car accident and it’s determined that the other party is entirely responsible for the accident, the injured person should be entitled to financial compensation. That said, if you partially contributed to the accident in some way, though the other driver was mostly at fault, you may wonder whether you will still qualify for compensation. Please continue reading and reach out to a knowledgeable Jacksonville car accident lawyer from Ansbacher Law to learn more. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Can I recover compensation in an injury claim even if I’m partially responsible for a car accident?

Let’s say the other party is mostly responsible for the accident, but it can be proven that you were in fact speeding at the time of the accident, and that had you need been speeding, you may have had time to hit the brakes or slow down and avoid the crash. The state of Florida observes what’s known as “pure comparative fault,” which means that you will still be compensated for the percentage of the accident determined to be the other driver’s fault. For example, if you are 40% at fault for an accident, but the other driver is 60% at fault, you should receive 60% of the compensation you would have received, had the other driver been 100% at fault.

What should I do to prove that I was not the only one responsible for the accident?

One of the most important things to do after an accident is document exactly how it happened and who is responsible. If possible, you should do your best to take the following steps:

  1. Call law enforcement to the scene. They’ll write up a report of the accident.
  2. Take pictures of the damage to your vehicle and property involved in the accident.
  3. Ask witnesses for their contact information so they can corroborate your story at a later date.
  4. After emergency services arrive at the scene, ensure you’re taken to a hospital and receive medical treatment. You should also keep a copy of the medical documentation associated with your injury.
  5. Retain the services of a knowledgeable and skilled Jacksonville personal injury lawyer who can help you fight for the maximum compensation to which you are entitled.

CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED FLORIDA FIRM

Ansbacher Law is composed of knowledgeable attorneys who are ready to assist clients with various legal matters throughout North Florida. We understand the urgency of your personal injury claim and additional legal matters, which is why we provide each of our clients with compassionate and efficient legal assistance, every step of the way. Please contact our office for an initial consultation today.

Blogs & News

Halloween Safety Tips for Property Owners | What You Should Know

Halloween is one of the most exciting holidays of the year, whether you’re a child trick-or-treating, a parent, or even just someone…

Read more
The Five Most Common Causes of Auto Accidents in the U.S.

Unfortunately, we live in a day and age where auto accidents are inexcusably common. Often, auto accidents occur for the same reasons.…

Read more
How Do Motorcycle Accidents Most Often Occur in Florida?

Motorcyclists can be spotted all over the state of Florida, and for good reason–motorcycles are fast, fun to ride, cost-effective, and stylish.…

Read more
Read More Blogs